Saturday, November 24, 2012

Another Bad Hair Day



Wednesday I could not stand my shaggy hair one more minute and, after reading reviews on several hair salons close by, I gritted my teeth and went to one that was highly recommended by the reviewers. 

Having spent the past four winters in Mexico it has been an ongoing  project to get a halfway decent haircut. To begin with, there is usually a language barrier. Since my Spanish is mostly about beer and bathrooms it is difficult at best explaining how I want my hair cut. Heck, I have trouble getting beauticians in the States to understand what I want. Even taking a photo along doesn’t seem to be much help. After much commiserating with my women friends off other boats I resigned myself to the fact that the options in Mexico are pretty much a bad cut or no cut at all. Haircuts for men are, of course, a much different matter. Their only real concern is how much or how little they will be required to pay. 

So…Wednesday’s haircut. I had high hopes when I entered the salon but from the minute the first cut was made I knew I was in trouble. I had told the beautician that the shaggy stuff over my ears and on the back of my neck had to go, and that it all needed to be shorter (but not too short), especially my bangs. I stipulated a part on the right side (which I realize is usually the domain of men) and asked her to trim my “sideburns” shorter & jaggedy. By the time she finished with me and I walked out $28 lighter, my hair was so short the only option I have is letting it stick straight up, the part was on the wrong side and it was full of “product” that I don’t use. Arggh!

I have finally come to the realization that a good haircut is probably a thing of the past for me. I am trying to remember that the one good thing about a bad haircut is that it will grow out.

3 comments:

  1. I feel your pain, Sandy. I struggle to get good haircuts. I just had my hair cut by our family stylist, my niece Cody. She is a professional, as well as a U of A grad, and she does great haircuts. She lives in San Diego. If you're there again when it's time for a cut, maybe you could give her a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Waaay too short! Should be about perfect in another week.

      Delete