Sunday, September 8, 2013

Virginia, Part Two (Charlottesville)



While we were in Charlottesville, another birthday rolled on by for me. They just keep coming, don’t they? Well, I guess when you consider the alternative it is just as well. Chris asked what I wanted to do to celebrate and that was easy. I wanted to take a drive along the Skyline Drive which runs along the spine of the Shenandoah Mountains. The trees and spring flowers were just getting started so the hillsides were still a little bare looking but it was still a pretty drive.



Being a Northwest girl, I was a bit surprised. The drive seemed never to leave the foothills as the highest point we encountered was just 3,680 ft. I have lived in the shadow of the Cascade Mountains most of my life so this elevation hardly seems to fit the title of “mountain”. 

Still, it is a beautiful drive and we stopped numerous times to take in the view.

Parlor in the Inn at Court Square

That evening Chris took me out for a romantic dinner in Charlottesville. The Inn at Court Square was originally built in 1785 as a private home but is now a lovely Inn. We had a wonderful meal served in the parlor where we were included in the conversation with several guests from Georgia. The owner came by to introduce herself and make sure we were being well taken care of, which we were.

Daedalus Bookstore

The next day we decided to drive back into Charlottesville to check out the bookstores…of which there are SIX in town. A paradise for two people who are voracious readers! Our favorite was Daedalus – a regular rabbit’s warren with rooms upon rooms filled with books. There are even books lining the wall of the stairway to the basement. 
Charlottesville pedestrian mall

Two blocks down from the bookstore we discovered an entire street that has been turned into a pedestrian mall. It is wonderful. The street is paved with red bricks and lined with historic buildings which have been converted into shops, restaurants and living spaces. Outdoor seating for the restaurants, local vendors and numerous spots to just sit and watch the world go by are shaded by huge old Oak trees.

We loved wandering the shops and then enjoying a delicious lunch and ice cold beer in the shade. I am sorry to say that I didn’t think to bring my camera along so I’ve had to steal a couple photos from the internet.

Albemarle County Courthouse (across the street from the Inn at Court Square)

I do hope that someday we can return to the Charlottesville area. There is still much to explore there.

No comments:

Post a Comment